Random thing's I think about during class

Post here for things completely unrelated to Helmet Heroes.

Random thing's I think about during class

Postby EliasDaniel » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:39 pm

Instead of paying attention in class I usually just think of random things that don't make any sense. It usually has to do with philosophy and I thought it was interesting so I wanted to share some of the things I've thought about.

Color is a made up construct. Everyone probably sees colors differently because no one has the same eyes, someone could see your black as white but they think its black because they were taught that their entire life.

Time is also a made up construct. What if everything has already happened and we are just processing it. Maybe we think we are processing it slowly but we are actually processing it at what our construct defines light speed.

Can we die? What if we live in a universe where everyone else around us dies but we live forever. We can't prove that we are going to die.

The only reason we wear clothes is for protection and warmth, i'm sure at one point in history people just didn't wear clothes in the summer. Why have we become super self conscience about our genitals?

Why do we have eyebrows? What is the survival advantage of eyebrows? Shouldn't we have evolved away from eyebrows by now?

Are we a person just trapped in a coma or a person inside of another persons dream? We could be living 80 year lives during someones 8 hour dream.

Where did morals start? Did we just randomly think, "Oh yeah, eating people is probably not a good thing to do." Or, "Hey, killing is bad." Animals don't care about killing and cannibalism so how did we start caring?

If some of these questions have answers feel free to answer them, I just think its fun to think about.
EliasDaniel

Re: Random thing's I think about during class

Postby hoola77 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:56 pm

I think about these things to trippy af

discord: hoola77#2772
https://discord.gg/mS692D4
hoola77

Postby Prostatus5 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:02 pm

EliasDaniel wrote:Instead of paying attention in class I usually just think of random things that don't make any sense. It usually has to do with philosophy and I thought it was interesting so I wanted to share some of the things I've thought about.

Color is a made up construct. Everyone probably sees colors differently because no one has the same eyes, someone could see your black as white but they think its black because they were taught that their entire life.

Time is also a made up construct. What if everything has already happened and we are just processing it. Maybe we think we are processing it slowly but we are actually processing it at what our construct defines light speed.

Can we die? What if we live in a universe where everyone else around us dies but we live forever. We can't prove that we are going to die.

The only reason we wear clothes is for protection and warmth, i'm sure at one point in history people just didn't wear clothes in the summer. Why have we become super self conscience about our genitals?

Why do we have eyebrows? What is the survival advantage of eyebrows? Shouldn't we have evolved away from eyebrows by now?

Are we a person just trapped in a coma or a person inside of another persons dream? We could be living 80 year lives during someones 8 hour dream.

Where did morals start? Did we just randomly think, "Oh yeah, eating people is probably not a good thing to do." Or, "Hey, killing is bad." Animals don't care about killing and cannibalism so how did we start caring?

If some of these questions have answers feel free to answer them, I just think its fun to think about.

Philosophy, how brilliant. Let me try and answer all of these as best I can.

Color is the visible spectrum of purely white light. Things that are white reflect back all the light back to your eyes in the visible spectrum. Something that is red gets the more red wavelengths and transfers them back. Colorblindness occurs when the cones and rods in your eyes become a little dysfunctional, and you start to see things differently.

Well this is really well thought out. Time is a made up construct, indeed. However, I don't feel that everything is processing instead of occurring. I however do believe that history might just write itself, and we live in a multiverse where there are probably more than 10^10^10^7 outcomes. That's 1.0*10^1400, and that's fucking big. Light has no mass, and something that has no mass must go the highest physically possible speed. In that case, that's 300,000kps. Warping through space is a definite possibility, as via relativity,
    it's proven that speeding up that fast causes you to age slower than everything else, causing you to basically go anywhere and not feel like it at all.

This is a brilliant question, and there's a bunch of stuff about what people have seen when they die, and are brought back with a defibrillator, and it's really interesting. My dad's friend was in a motorcycle accident and died at the hospital. He was brought back and he had told my dad that he had seen his parents and an abberition he thought was god, and they told him "Your time isn't now, go back." Which is actually really interesting, and keeps me a non-atheist. I believe in a higher power that controls everything, but not a specific religion.

Why we've become self conscious about our genitals is an emotion known as embarrassment. It's a social emotion that no other animal has, and we've just evolved to have it naturally occur. Vsauce has an entire video on it, and it's fabulous.

I'm actually not sure why we have eyebrows. I presume it's so that things like dust and water don't fall into your eye as much, and are there as an addition to look rather nice.

Well this brings me to another question. What if life is just a simulation? If you've read The Maze Runner it sets forth this thought. In the book, the main character starts in a large metal box, and is found by other people who have some sort of initiation with this box. They have to survive, and his instincts tell him to go into the maze with a bunch of deadly monsters, to try and find an exit. There's an exit in the maze later in the book, and I'm not going to go into much detail as to not spoil the book, but basically they all live in a simulation of how humans have to work together to achieve a goal.

Again this is probably a societal trait that we've picked up from evolution. We are a very smart species and know a lot more about everything that any other animal on this planet. It might just be an evolutionary trait that we've picked up.

Anyway this was a fun little thing, I'd like to see your thoughts on my answers.
Last edited by Prostatus5 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thanks naughty!^^
Spoiler: show

Kudos to Link Nestar ^^
http://steamcommunity.com/id/prostatus_5/ <-------- Add me on Steam!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCopJCRdg046d0q3a7ctdJZQ<-----subscribe
ArqDemon wrote:??? what is water
Prostatus5

Postby EliasDaniel » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:30 pm

You had great answers to the questions, Prostatus. I feel like you are trying to answer some of the questions with science when they can't be. I can't really argue with most of your responses because they are primarily opinions that cannot be disprove or proven but I'll try my best to respond.

I understand how color and color blindness works but I am saying that people's brains may interpret color's differently. I'm not talking about color blindness because if people interpret my green as my red and they are colorblind of green that means they can't see my red.

Thats pretty much the only thing I could respond to because the time one was just you analyzing the question, regarding the death story, that's pretty awesome and I'd like to hear more about that but I can't really respond because it isn't related to the original question. The vsauce video pretty much answers that question. Your eyebrow guess is a pretty smart assumption but I don't think we would evolve to have eyebrows just for keeping things that wont effect us out of our eyes. The simulation question is another great philosophical question. Lastly, I wouldn't say that it was an evolutionary trait but maybe a result of the evolution of the human brain.
EliasDaniel

Postby Skylox » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Although I don't fear death I wonder what will happen after it, eternal darkness? Endless dream? Or you just become nothing? No thoughts,sensations...
Skylox

Postby Poodle » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:23 pm

I'm lazy so I will just answer why we don't eat people. There are certain diseases we can only get from eating humans and we have evolved a value for human life because we don't need human's as a food source so it doesn't make sense to reduce our gene/ mating pool.
Thanks to Lotsoflove for this sig :D

Jakub wrote:Luck is cut in half by 1/3. So if a pet had 18 luck, it now has 6 luck.
Poodle

Location: USA, North America, Earth, Solar System#842, Milky way Galaxy, Universe #217, Multiverse

Postby Skylox » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:47 pm

Poodle wrote:I'm lazy so I will just answer why we don't eat people. There are certain diseases we can only get from eating humans and we have evolved a value for human life because we don't need human's as a food source so it doesn't make sense to reduce our gene/ mating pool.

I searched before and I didn't find anything, do you know how nutritious is a human?
Skylox

Postby usubusu » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:25 pm

Skylox wrote:
Poodle wrote:I'm lazy so I will just answer why we don't eat people. There are certain diseases we can only get from eating humans and we have evolved a value for human life because we don't need human's as a food source so it doesn't make sense to reduce our gene/ mating pool.

I searched before and I didn't find anything, do you know how nutritious is a human?

As with the ''Why do we wear clothes?'' video, there is another video about this that is also made by Vsauce.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdrTQlClb08
Credit to RaptorZ7 for the art!

Need wood for crafting?
- I can get it for free!
http://helmet-heroes.com/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=58241
usubusu

Postby Mariofan1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:17 am

Words are a made up construct

Virginity is a social construct

When you wake up in a dream, it's likely because you died in your dream. Your brain cannot comprehend the afterlife.
Mariofan1

Postby Prostatus5 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:06 am

Mariofan1 wrote:When you wake up in a dream, it's likely because you died in your dream. Your brain cannot comprehend the afterlife.

Actually, I think I have to disagree. Sure, there are cases where dying in a dream means you wake up, but that doesn't account for most dreams. Last night I had a dream that I was stuck at my school, my mom and friends wouldn't drive me home, and walking meant walking through the "hood" and around 10 miles. For some fucking reason I didn't call an Uber. There were random school buses near the front of the school at around 6 PM, and after all of that, I just woke up when I finally called an Uber.

Dreams end because they start to get good. That's why when you have a good dream, you wake up at the best part. Dopamine in your brain gets excited, and then that wakes you up.
thanks naughty!^^

Kudos to Link Nestar ^^
http://steamcommunity.com/id/prostatus_5/ <-------- Add me on Steam!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCopJCRdg046d0q3a7ctdJZQ<-----subscribe
Prostatus5

Return to Off Topic