Technology!

Post here for things completely unrelated to Helmet Heroes.

Technology!

Postby 404 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:15 am

iPads/Tablets. These things are like Star Trek stuff to my parents. Back in their day when they were younger than me, these things didn't exist. So holding a tablet or iPad in their hand and being able to watch videos on it is amazing to them.

This gives me hope that when I'm their age, I'll have my own robot.

What do you want when you're your parents age?

Re: Technology!

Postby SOUL_SLAYER » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:28 am

A life :( .
SOUL_SLAYER

Postby Pluui » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:48 am

You say "back in the day" like it wasn't less than 4 years ago that iPads/Tablets were released, rofl (yes, I know there was an earlier model, but I'm talking about the first commercially successful venture).

I'm kind of sad when I think about how old I am versus how far away I think the technology is. We're currently 5'ish years away from real, feeling bionic hands. Probably another 5-20 years on top of that for other body parts. 3D printers are making GREAT strides, and cheap, reliable, accessible 3D printers are probably also only 5'ish years out, with a more conservative estimate of 10-15 years before they are mass produced at the cost of a few hundred dollars. Oculus Rift is possibly the coolest thing I've seen in terms of the future of gaming, and the further applications of such a device, and like everything else, it seems to be 5-10 years away from real, commercial application. With the advent of materials like graphene and carbon nanotubes, we are finally seeing a way to as to go about making a quantom computer, as well as other very cool devices that we have been otherwise unable to manufacture because of size restraints, or material durability. The main hurdle with those 2 materials is figuring out a way to produce large sizes/quantities, which is probably 15-30+ years out when you consider how long we've known about them already (graphene was discovered in 1985, carbon nanotubes in 2006).

Honestly though, what do I want when I'm my parents age? I want to still be around, lol.
Pluui

Postby itblobboy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:58 am

I want to have grown a sincere tolerance of people whether I like them or not. Not like them, but able to truly not care about the stupid things other people do.

That'd be blissful with what I deal with.

I would also like to understand those same people. That is gonna be a hard one.
Ey yeah I'm gonna host a helmet heroes event on 4/20/2069 an and wqe're gonna go fishing in snowly flatts
http://giveadamn.co.uk/give/itblobboy
itblobboy

Location: I'm gonna host a helmet heroes event on 4/20/2069 an and wqe're gonna go fishing in snowly flatts

Postby Konrad » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:47 pm

Pluui wrote:With the advent of materials like graphene and carbon nanotubes, we are finally seeing a way to as to go about making a quantom computer, as well as other very cool devices that we have been otherwise unable to manufacture because of size restraints, or material durability. The main hurdle with those 2 materials is figuring out a way to produce large sizes/quantities, which is probably 15-30+ years out when you consider how long we've known about them already (graphene was discovered in 1985, carbon nanotubes in 2006).

I didn't think fullereness were used in the mechanics of a quantum computer :S I think they're used as wiring and support, kinda like a PCB, rather than for logic gates. Personally, I think biological computers (e.g. using enzymatic logic gates) are closer to the horizon.

As for graphenes, things are looking good. There have been a few novel methods for growing carbon nanostructures in the past few years. These two are my favourites. In graphene production right now, the main constraint is the cost of usable carbon sources so being able to use food waste/insects should seriously lower the industrial costs of churning out graphene.

itblobboy wrote:I want to have grown a sincere tolerance of people whether I like them or not. Not like them, but able to truly not care about the stupid things other people do.

That'd be blissful with what I deal with.

I would also like to understand those same people. That is gonna be a hard one.

Regardless of whether you like them, the problem is that you may have to care about the stupid things they do :roll: I've had much grief when having the misfortune of collaborating with a bunch of inept morons...
And as for trying to understand them? Good luck man. I've long given up trying to reason with imbeciles and their logically fallacious ideas. They just aren't worth your time :mrgreen:

On topic: Sticking to technology, I'd quite like servant robots too! Not like in I, Robot though. Uncanny valley much?
Konrad

Postby 404 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:41 pm

Konrad wrote:Not like in I, Robot though.

Fun fact: I, Robot was originally titled "I Am Robot". I remember seeing the first commercial for it at a friends house, then was confused later on when I started seeing commercials for it where it was called "I, Robot". A few years back when I Googled it, I never found any indication of it being originally titled "I Am Robot".

Another fun fact: I remember reading a magazine at a public library a few years back, before that movie with Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher dating his daughter came out. I saw an ad in the magazine, a poster for that movie, then never heard about the movie for a year or so. A year or so after reading that, I then saw the commercial for the movie and went "Wait a mo, I read a poster for that movie a year ago at the library...what the heck?". I'm not sure if it's deja vu, or if I was reading a poster for an entirely different movie and had a moment of future-sight.

Return to Off Topic