"Challenge Rooms" ie; good ways to recycle content

Post here for suggestions, artwork, or things you would like to see in future updates.

"Challenge Rooms" ie; good ways to recycle content

Postby MedStev » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:42 am

So at the moment, one of the yeti rooms is bugged at a cap of 32 yetis. This makes it super awesome to grind in. Instead of writing it off as just a bug to be fixed, why not capitalize on this concept?

Here's the basic idea:

Add rooms with currently existing monsters (preferably the strongest/second strongest ones available) where the spawn rate is doubled, and the monster limit is increased to 32 or something.

The best part is that it doesn't take any time to make new assets, in terms of art/monsters, so it might even be easy to squeak in while you're working on more resource intensive development.

I guess the biggest problem to this would be a rather large influx of money/items into the economy. This would allow people easier access to books, but the price of books could be adjusted slightly to balance this. Additionally, increasing the book cost would trim stat inflation, especially on high level gear. This inflation I would think stems from new gear having to have an increase of stats that is at least [(new gear cost - old gear sell price)/(stat gain) >= 45k] to be worth purchasing.

Anyways, those are just some thoughts I had stemming from the massive yeti influx at the moment.

Thoughts?

PS: It'd also be great if chat windows were optionally integrated into the main chat area, so I wouldn't have a big floaty green box blocking my play area!
Guildmaster of Painful Exit Wounds. El oh el.
MedStev

Re: "Challenge Rooms" ie; good ways to recycle content

Postby itblobboy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:45 pm

Support for the main article.

But my main support goes to the OPTIONAL GREEN-FLOATY PM REMOVER FFS
MisoSoup247 wrote:Thanks guys next story is Sintoques Legacy which will be out in 2017 stay tune.

http://giveadamn.co.uk/give/itblobboy
itblobboy

Location: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Postby Gregore » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:19 pm

This was a very well thought out post. I appreciated that.

I think the effectiveness of your proposal depends on what you get out of the game. A lot of folk seem to appreciate a linear progression towards a non-existent ceiling and become frustrated when the ceiling takes shape in the form of sameyness- until the next update. This produces a tread-mill effect wherein Robby has to keep creating new things to challenge the top-tier. What you propose is an easier way of continuing that mode.
Perhaps the attendant problems could be solved by having a gold price for entry?

Another way of looking at it would be to increase the breadth of the game. More social functions, greater variety of equipment (enhance more stats than attack/defense), special gamemaster events with rare prizes (perhaps hold a tournament for buckets as opposed to using random drops). That's my preference, but I think you propose a good way of continuing the current linear mode without adding too much programming work.
With Love,

Thanks be to JsBeforeBaes for greatest signature.
Gregore

Postby robby » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:15 am

I plan to put in some type of area like this. It will likely be a building in Robo City where the type of enemies in it change every hour or so with a double to triple spawn rate. It will be a like a "training chamber" type thing.
robby
Site Admin

Postby MedStev » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:07 pm

robby wrote:I plan to put in some type of area like this. It will likely be a building in Robo City where the type of enemies in it change every hour or so with a double to triple spawn rate. It will be a like a "training chamber" type thing.

Make it two rooms, otherwise Jerek will just be there all day. :P
MedStev

Postby plak&shlak » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:40 pm

MedStev wrote:
robby wrote:I plan to put in some type of area like this. It will likely be a building in Robo City where the type of enemies in it change every hour or so with a double to triple spawn rate. It will be a like a "training chamber" type thing.

lol
ImageImage
plak&shlak

Postby poohbair » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:43 pm

MedStev wrote:

Better make it 3. I'll be camping in number 2.
poohbair

Postby Jerek » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:06 pm

poohbair wrote:
MedStev wrote:

Better make it 4 rooms, I plan on taking 2 rooms for myself ... SIMULTANEOUSLY!!! How is this possible you ask?! It's because I'm Jerek! >:D
"Stand by your glasses steady and drink to your comrade's eyes.
Here's a toast to the dead already and hurrah for the next to die."
Jerek

Postby MedStev » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Jerek wrote:
poohbair wrote:

Better make it 4 rooms, I plan on taking 2 rooms for myself ... SIMULTANEOUSLY!!! How is this possible you ask?! It's because I'm Jerek! >:D

This brings up the very valid question of "how do you introduce harder content in Helmet Heroes without making it exclusively for the top 2-3 players in the game"

Solution? Players in guild get the same xp in a room if they both do damage to mobs. So, if one player just stands around while the other grinds, the loitering guildmate gets either the current rate or 0xp, but if they both are hitting the same (or maybe even just hitting mobs), they all get 100% of mob xp.

Example 1: Jerek 1 shots brick monsters with me in the room.

XP distribution: Jerek 100%, Me 0%.

Example 2: I manage to nick a brick monster before Jerek makes it explode.

XP distribution: Jerek 100%, Me 100%.

This way, I feel a reduced need to bail and ruin someone else's day just because Jerek is up in all the new content.

Come to think about it, that would still probably make me leave, because I'm getting no money or drops... so uh, maybe the money system could be changed to players automatically getting money on kills, so both players can get the full amount of money too...

So that would leave loot as the primary motivating factor for doing damage to mobs... which would be ok, since loot is how you get 80-90% of your cash flow...

Bah, now it's complicated. Anyone have a better idea on how to get around the guild issue?
MedStev

Postby itblobboy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:08 pm

Jerek wrote:

I doubt that is possible. You may be the most amazing grinder I have ever seen (sheesh who are you S U O M I from RuneScape?) but you are nothing without your ISP... and if you're gonna make it hard on me... *calling a complaint to you're ISP* :lol: :twisted:
MisoSoup247 wrote:Thanks guys next story is Sintoques Legacy which will be out in 2017 stay tune.

http://giveadamn.co.uk/give/itblobboy
itblobboy

Location: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Postby Wall » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:28 pm

MedStev wrote:
This brings up the very valid question of "how do you introduce harder content in Helmet Heroes without making it exclusively for the top 2-3 players in the game"

Solution? Players in guild get the same xp in a room if they both do damage to mobs. So, if one player just stands around while the other grinds, the loitering guildmate gets either the current rate or 0xp, but if they both are hitting the same (or maybe even just hitting mobs), they all get 100% of mob xp.

Example 1: Jerek 1 shots brick monsters with me in the room.

XP distribution: Jerek 100%, Me 0%.

Example 2: I manage to nick a brick monster before Jerek makes it explode.

XP distribution: Jerek 100%, Me 100%.

This way, I feel a reduced need to bail and ruin someone else's day just because Jerek is up in all the new content.

Come to think about it, that would still probably make me leave, because I'm getting no money or drops... so uh, maybe the money system could be changed to players automatically getting money on kills, so both players can get the full amount of money too...

So that would leave loot as the primary motivating factor for doing damage to mobs... which would be ok, since loot is how you get 80-90% of your cash flow...

Bah, now it's complicated. Anyone have a better idea on how to get around the guild issue?

Maybe it should be like in Dungeon Blitz that everyone who attack the monster get a drop but in this game should only work on coins and the one that does most damage can get both coins and loot.
Wall

Postby Jakub » Sun May 14, 2017 2:08 pm

Blah blah blah necrobump, who cares.

Just imgaine if Robby added something like this.
MAKE HELMET HEROES GREAT !!!

DaviM12 wrote:inb4 3d update
The worst thing robby did to HH was adding Cowboys to the game without actually even trying to balance their skills : (
Jakub

Return to Suggestions