Scammer Pretending To Be The User '404'

Anything Helmet Heroes related can be posted here.

Scammer Pretending To Be The User '404'

Postby Ky372 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:28 pm

So 404 and myself wanted to make this known that if you are contacted by a person on facebook or anywhere else that is not in game (and in game is not spelled 404, that's with a 0 not an o), it is not the real 404. He wanted me to put this here just to let everyone know:

From "404":

It has come to my attention that some people (one person that I know of, but there may be more) have received a message from me or someone pretending to be me on Facebook. I recently received two odd emails from Facebook along the lines of 'Sorry you're having trouble accessing your account' but I ignored them thinking them to be fake. Since being alerted to someone scamming cash from people and pretending to be me, I have changed my Facebook and Gmail passwords, and enabled 2-step verification on my Gmail (which I forgot to do originally).

This scammer links to my Helmet Heroes Wikia userpage when asked who he is, and erroneously states "Im administrator of Helmet Heroes". First tip-off that this is a scam is the poor grammar. His scam is that you're one of 10 lucky people who will win $1,000,000 ingame cash, 20 tickets and a fox pet. That's the second tip-off that this is a scam. Obviously the third tip-off is that he asks for your username and password to rob you blind.

If you have received a message on Facebook or anywhere else from someone claiming to be me and linking to my Wikia userpage, ignore the person. I do apologize for any inconvenience caused by this scammer. If you're wondering why I am not posting this myself, it is because I am permanently IP banned from these forums because I 'swore too much'.

One final thing of note: Because I currently work 12 hour shifts at a pipe threading factory, that does not leave me much time for playing games and as such I have retired from Helmet Heroes. That would be the fourth tip-off that this incident was a scam attempt. Regardless, if you do see "404" online, that is indeed me. I have not received any password reset requests for Helmet Heroes so that indicates to me that this scammer has not tried to access my Helmet Heroes account, and has instead most likely signed up using a fake version of the name like "4o4".

For clarity sake, here's the chat log between the user who contacted me and the person pretending to be me:

Victim: May i ask who you are Scammer: Are you Helmet Heroes Player? Victim: Yeah howd you find me Scammer: What is your Level in Hlmet Heroes? Scammer: http://helmet-heroes.wikia.com/wiki/Use ... erNotFound Victim: 53 Scammer: Im adminstrator of Helmet Heroes Victim: Ahhhh ok Scammer: Your included in 10 lucky player that would receive 1m and fox pet and 20 ticket Victim: What really? Scammer: Thats true Victim: Youve got to be joking Scammer: No im not Joking Victim: Ok what should i do or do i have to do Scammer: But hope you understand how i gonna procces your Surprise Gift Victim: Ok Scammer: I need your Account to proccess the Surprise Gift Victim: Uhhh is that all Scammer: Yes Victim: Swear you wont do or change anything else Scammer: Yes Victim: User: <removed> Password: <removed> capitolize the first letter of user Scammer: Ok Scammer: Do you have Other account? Victim: <removed> is my old one Victim: Same password Victim: You robbed me!?!?!?!?

So that's that. I put this in General since there's more traffic here compared to the other subforums, so it'd be seen by most.
~ Admin of Helmet Heroes Wiki. Contact me for anything wiki related!
Ky372

Re: Scammer Pretending To Be The User '404'

Postby SOUL_SLAYER » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:33 pm

...Does 404 even still play?
SOUL_SLAYER

Postby Lycanblade » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:33 pm

i dont even know who he really is lol
ImageImage
Lycanblade

Location: That corner where I always go to cry...the one with hot blondes

Postby Ky372 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:33 pm

Occasionally he plays, but he's rather busy right now.
Ky372

Postby SOUL_SLAYER » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:36 pm

Hmm.
Well this person seems to have decent English and knows of 404 being an admin to the HH wiki, is there somebody who mess with the wiki and had a personal vendetta against 404?

404 hasn't made this very easy to deduce who it might be since he has a list of people who don't exactly..."Like" him.
But why now of all times?
SOUL_SLAYER

Postby Ky372 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:49 pm

SOUL_SLAYER wrote:Hmm.
Well this person seems to have decent English and knows of 404 being an admin to the HH wiki, is there somebody who mess with the wiki and had a personal vendetta against 404?

404 hasn't made this very easy to deduce who it might be since he has a list of people who don't exactly..."Like" him.
But why now of all times?

This person (or people) claim to be admins of Helmet Heroes, not the wiki. Granted he knows of the wiki, and that 404 is part of it, however that's not hard to figure out if you make at least one edit to the site =P

It's not just 404 being impersonated. We all know that robby and gret have been impersonated, and other players who wrongly claimed they were admins.
Ky372

Postby UNF404 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:59 pm

I had to use a proxy because I'm IP banned (IP ban was for doing this very thing that I'm doing right now), and if Deej/Gret sees this, I'm sorry for evading again but I had to post a reply and I don't want to force Ky to be my post-making mule.

I don't know who did this or why, and I was alerted to the thread where someone had reported me by Ky. In that thread, I saw that the scammer had apparently logged onto my account ingame. Upon logging in, none of my items were gone which was a tad odd. I have a bucket, santa hat, full mummy set (all which were rare back when I used to play) and they're still there.

The other odd thing is that I didn't receive any emails from Yahoo (seriously this game's password reset requester is Yahoo?) asking me to reset my ingame password so I can only assume a brute force was used because I use KeePass to store my logins. I've since changed my bloody ingame password too.

My Facebook password was not changed, nor was my gmail accounts (perhaps the person didn't want to alert me to the fact that they were screwing around on my accounts) but Facebook still emailed me when the person failed to login multiple times.

Note for Robby: Look into potential 2-step verification for password reset requests so we can hook a cellphone up to our account and have a text msg sent to use when someone tries to reset our password. Either that or do an IP address check on logon to see if the person logging in does not have the same IP as is most commonly used on the account. Then simply boot the person back to the login screen if their IP does not match. Problem solved.

As for people disliking me, that's neither here nor there. For anyone who knows my history in the Team Fortress 2 community, I've since gone back and made amends with quite a lot of people that I was a jerk to in the past.
UNF404

Postby UNF404 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:08 pm

Jeeeeez. I switch back over to Helmet Heroes and I've got a hundred people PMing me, most swearing at me and calling me a scammer, one asking for his money back, and a bunch going "hey, it's <real name> from FB".

I just copied and pasted "Disregard any messages you may have received from me on Facebook, I was hacked." into each PM box.

What a bloody horror-show.

EDIT: Disabled my Facebook account. No more of that stuff.

EDIT 2: Just found out people like to make fake Facebook accounts of people like Robby and Miso, in order to scam dumb people. I have deleted my "404" Facebook (aka "Gebruiker Nie Gevind" which is Afrikaans for "User Not Found"). I still have a "real life" Facebook that nobody knows (and nobody will ever know). If anyone sees that someone has made a "404 User Not Found" facebook account, it is not me and most assuredly was created by some sort of scammer.
UNF404

Postby Caefer » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:26 pm

I had a guy pretending to be me but i shut that down pretty fast by telling everyone they were not me and asking people who asked me to spread the word. It took a good two weeks for peopel to stop asking me if i was "jefferson jake" on facebook. I do not have a facebook for future reference so that will never be me trying to get your login info :roll:
Caefer

Postby itblobboy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:31 pm

You guys on the leaderboards are big suckers. Forum lord is just as good but doesn't suffer from hundreds of noobs catching on too.
Ey yeah I'm gonna host a helmet heroes event on 4/20/2069 an and wqe're gonna go fishing in snowly flatts
http://giveadamn.co.uk/give/itblobboy
itblobboy

Location: I'm gonna host a helmet heroes event on 4/20/2069 an and wqe're gonna go fishing in snowly flatts

Postby Caefer » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:33 pm

itblobboy wrote:You guys on the leaderboards are big suckers. Forum lord is just as good but doesn't suffer from hundreds of noobs catching on too.

Forum lord is a bit much, you are more like the court jester of the forum, you make a lot of noise but no one listens to you :P

*also woot for my 777th post*
Caefer

Postby UNF404 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:33 pm

Most people seem to understand when I explain to them what happened. Warriors101 however is taking longer than usual to grasp the concept of "my facebook was hacked while I was at work and the person who hacked it used it to scam about a hundred people throughout the day while I was at work"

EDIT: He replied to my instructions on how to highlight and copy the link with "I know", so I finished the conversation with "Then read the thread" and clicked the Ignore button.

Warriors101: your scammer you scam me my stupid_archer gone fck you
404: oi
Warriors101: ?
404: my fb was hacked
404: someone got into my facebook, impersonated me and scammed a hundred people while i was at work today
404: i just found out a few hours ago when someone added me on Steam to complain
404: Check the helmet-heroes forums, General Discussion section
404: there's a thread there, and someone reported me in Report a Player, which I replied to as well.
404: I've already cllosed down my Facebook and enabled 2-step verification on my Gmail
Warriors101: your a scammer
404: No, I'm not. Check the forums.
404: I work 12 hour shifts in a factory. I was at work all god damn day.
Warriors101: fck you you scam me my Stupid_archer gone
404: The person who spoke to you on Facebook had piss-poor English
Warriors101: give it back the 1m and items
404: Most likely a Filipino scammer
404: http://www.helmet-heroes.com/forum/view ... =5&t=10989
404: Read that.
Warriors101: give it back my acount
404: You can highlight the link in chat, then copy it and paste it into your browser
404: I don't have your account because I'm not the one who scammed you
Warriors101: she said he is a administrator
404: Read the damn thread
404: I'm an Administrator on the Helmet Heroes Wikia
404: The person you spoke to said "im an administrator on helmet heroes", meaning the game
404: I am not an admin in game. Only on the Wikia.
404: Read that ^ It'll explain everything.
Warriors101: where can i read
404: you can click and drag your mouse over the link to highlight it
404: then hold CTRL and press C to copy it, and CTRL + V to paste it into your browsers address bar
UNF404

Postby UNF404 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Wondering if this should be stickied here or in Report a Player to minimize potential future reports against me for the scamming thing....
UNF404

Postby Caefer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:20 pm

UNF404 wrote:Wondering if this should be stickied here or in Report a Player to minimize potential future reports against me for the scamming thing....

I wouldn't worry about it, i am sure by this time robby has seen this.
Caefer

Return to General